Monday 28 September 2015

Meeting with Robin

Today I met with Robin to discuss my project and see if I was going in the right direction, along with discussing ways to progress and general talk about the project.

Firstly I was informed that the honours project and dissertation did not necessarily have to be linked, so if I wanted to I could explore my other ideas I previously touched upon in this blog.

He also mentioned to look at other artists' work and their processes and try to follow and understand them. As well as deconstructing their characters, the process they followed in which to arrive at the end point, the form and function of the characters, what possible went through their heads whilst they were designing the character. There are lot of different artists out there who use different methods, especially in the initial concepting stage, for example use of brushes to create interesting shapes then working from there. I remember watching a video on youtube where a guy uses brushes to create random shapes then draws from there, but I cannot remember which particular video, it may be one from here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUQTqWAaSzhAKRanOpes1nA

Some books were recommended as well, Bryan Tillman's Creative Character Design which I will try to find in the library. It seems to focus more on the practical side and features a lot of images rather than text. Another is Katherine Isbister's Better Game Characters by Design.

Another book was Skillful Huntsman: Visual Development of a Grimm Tale at Art Center College of Design (https://kendalcollegeart.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/the_skillful_huntsman.pdf)

Finally Robin lent me his own book Virtual Character Design for Games and Interactive Media. I will take a look at all of these books listed at some point soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment