Sunday 27 September 2015

A thought on some existing art

I was scrolling through a pinterest board (https://www.pinterest.com/u037/concept/) that featured a lot of character art and I found a couple of images that can be seen below, which reminded me of existing images.


The painting above is by Dleoblack and when I saw it I was instantly reminded of other art I had seen, particularly that of League of Legends and DotA, which can be seen below. This reminded me that so many ideas recur in art and it is really rather difficult to come up with something that is not reminiscent of something that already exists.

(Ashe from League of Legends)

(Drow Ranger from DotA)

 Below is a painting titled Two Edged Assassin on pinterest, however I cannot find the artist.
It reminded me of Katarina from League of Legends, due to the two swords and the pose.




Below is a Kukulkani character concept by Georgios Dimitriou. It reminded me of Kotal Khan from Mortal Kombat. The colouring is similar, as the skull imagery and cloth around the waist. On top of that the body markings are similar, and the arm accessories too.

Kotal Khan concept art by Hunter Schulz

There are definitely stereotypes in art, particularly game art and I feel that I need to work in the opposite direction to cultivate my creativity. I have always been one who copies and takes inspiration from existing game art, and whilst this can produce decent enough designs, I do not feel that they are particularly eye-catching or great. I need to find a way to expand and work outside of this to produce something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment