Sunday 27 September 2015

Exploring facial features and body language

Following on from talking about facial expressions and body language, I thought I would try some warm up sketches, just drawing rough pictures of three different people/ poses that I found on Pinterest. It is definitely clear that the poses and facial expressions suggest a great deal to the viewer of what kind of character the person might have. For example this first one, to me she looks quite neutral, as though waiting for something. The positioning of her feet makes me think she may be nervous in some way, or rather, shy, due to them almost facing each other, and her turning away from the viewer. Her hands in her pocket again suggest she may be shy, or just that she is comfortable.
 This second girl looks quite coy and shy, maybe even cheeky, her head is tilted down but she is looking up and smiling. Her hands behind her back also suggest some sense of shyness.
 This last one looks scared or worried as he clutches a blanket or towel. He looks like a scared child.

As my initial research into the importance of body language and facial expression seems to point in the direction of being very important to the first impression a viewer gets, I will work more on this. Practicing my drawing of other expressions and poses as I am a bit rusty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment