Thursday 22 October 2015

Progression

Now that I have a clearer idea of the questions and areas that I am interested in concerning character design, I decided a good way of progressing the project would be to find out how to actually design a character. I came across a video by CUBEBRUSH on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EY8UNy4RQQ, which details the steps to take when designing a character.

In the video Arnold Tsang (artist at Blizzard) is credited for the list. Here is an article featuring Tsang on character design concept art: http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/24/5541390/blizzard-character-design-concept-art

At the start of the video there are three main categories: genre, theme and class. These are the fundamentals to think about when creating a character. However, as I am not working to a brief set by someone, I will have to come up with my own. I feel a good place to start is by picking a few genres, such as FPS, RPG/ MOBA and fighting games, and designing characters for those genres. Depending on time, I can either pick a few themes, such as horror, fantasy or sci-fi, and do a few sketches or refined paintings for each game genre. This will enable me to build up a varied portfolio, whilst also improving my creativity and flexibility as an artist.

The genres I will design characters for will be fighting games, Shooters and RPG/ MOBAs. I picked these three genres and FPS and RPG/MOBAs are currently quite popular, and fighting games will enable me to make a lot of different characters and I can have more freedom to experiment with design and clothing. So now that I have picked I will have to do the relevant research on each genre to find out what types/class of character are featured in each. This will be my initial point of research. Next I will make a list of different themes that are commonly featured in these games, and will finally have a selection to choose from to form the basics of my character. For example, FPS, sci-fi, horror, tank, and this will help me greatly as a starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment