Tuesday 13 October 2015

Follow on from Regina

I was searching for a character the other day who I remembered being female but dressing to pretend to be male. It turned out that this character was King from King of Fighters. In my search for King, I found a character, Elisabeth, whose costume design reminded me a little of Regina's from Once Upon a Time, in terms of the tailcoat and mixing that tailored feminine look with a little bit of masculinity.

 Below is King. I suppose the reason this character is so believable or works so well, is because she is somewhat reminiscent of those pretty boy Japanese characters, the effeminate males that are often seen in Asia and in games. Other examples of feminine looking characters can be seen in the Final Fantasy series, where they used Gackt as inspiration for the character of Genesis.

Even her clothing, is not particularly masculine, as it can sometimes appeared to be tailored, therefore making it look more feminine. However, her shoes, bow tie, and gloves do strike the viewer as masculine items. King was the first character I came across in games who is female dressed or rather disguised as a man. On further researching I found that a few of the Guilty Gear characters appear very effeminate, for example, Bridget who appears to be a girl entirely (as can be seen below).


No comments:

Post a Comment