Sunday 29 November 2015

Kayle WIP

Here is a work in progress of a study that I did of Kayle from League of Legends.

This piece below is by Enijoi












After realising that I drew the wings entirely wrong from the start due to lack of concentration and self-analysis of my own work, I had to figure out how the wings should look. I experimented with editing the perspective, brightness and the size and angle of the left wing before finally deciding it would be best to just redraw parts of it and rotate some of the wings. I am much happier with the final image (directly above), however I still feel that the whole image could have been better if I had got the wings right in the first place. 

After trying to add a suitable background, I realised that this is one of my weaknesses. The character looked very detached from the background no matter what I tried. I need to improve this and learn how to draw an entirely cohesive piece that has an overall focus on the character, yet features a simple background to make it look like a complete image. I would love to perfect this piece, however I have already spent so much time on it and am at a place where I am adequately happy. I will hopefully come back to it at a later date to improve it. 

I used Stanley "Artgerm" Lau's artwork to inform the way I painted the fair and face. I tried to use his techniques to map out shading on the face and neck, and also to make the hair flow. I also used reference photographs from Google to aid in my understanding of the way the body looks and how shading would appear on the muscles and curves of the body. I think this has improved my technique, as the final result looks a lot better than earlier works in progress of this artwork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment